Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Gav and Leaf

Gav's studio is a blog about (as it says at the top) 'another writer's life'. And it was Gav who first drew my attention to the existence of Leaf Publishing, a company which is hoping to put out small (A6) books containing short stories of about 4,000 to 5,000 words. These will be sold through various outlets, most of which, it seems, will be outside the normal bookshop chains: coffee shops, tea rooms, and hotel bars are given as examples.

To kickstart their operation, Leaf are running a competition to find suitable material. First prize is £200, plus publication, and the entry fee is £5.

It would be interesting to know something about the forecast costings and estimated sales of this operation, but I don't suppose Leaf are going to share that with us. I can't quite bring myself to believe that the idea will be commercially viable, but it's an intriguing concept and I hope the organisers prove me wrong.

No comments: