Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Stephenson interview

A few days ago I wrote a piece about Neal Stephenson's new book The Confusion. The Bookslut kindly directed me to an interview with Neal in Wired.

Among other interesting things, Neal says the following: 'This book is meant to work as a yarn. I hope that readers will take it as such. If they also want to go think deep thoughts about currency fluctuations during the 1690s, then there's plenty of that in here for those who want to read it on that level. Everything I've talked about above took place in a world full of pirate ships, sword fights, seductive courtesans, picaroons and other staples of the bodice-ripping and swashbuckling genres, which I have not been above putting into these books.'

Right on, brother, as I believe they say in some quarters.

No comments: